Data Futures Assurance
What is it?
The majority of UK universities are actively working on the design and deployment of a solution to meet the Office for Students (OfS) mandated in-year reporting. This is piloting in early 2019, before first mandatory submissions in the academic year 2019/20. This implementation will require an entirely different approach to how student and associated data is managed.
Our approach to this challenge is an implementation of a lightweight data governance framework allied to more focussed data management. We have a best practice approach to evaluate, plan and assure a successful transition to in year reporting.
What can I do with it?
Much of our work in this area is to provide assurance on the activities being undertaken. We do this by considering current activity against our consolidated list of known issues and possible solutions, a knowledge of all the major student record systems, a plan and RACI matrix covering off all streams of activity, a communications plan and a lightweight data governance framework focussed on improving and maintaining data quality.
Universities have used this material in different ways. With our deep knowledge of the HESA specification (we worked with HESA for a year developing the specification and the governance process) and our experience of other institutions, we can deliver everything from executive recommendations to detailed plans.
Who else is using it?
We have delivered this service to six institutions, and are actively working with three as of October 2018. We are seeing a growing requirement as the timelines compress, and the sheer volume of work requires prioritisation and senior management focus.
How much does it cost?
We offer a template engagement at a fixed cost representing four days effort. Key activities are:
- Review of In-year implementation timelines with a focus on the university’s current state of readiness
- Review and prioritisation of known data management/data governance issues and their impacts
- A workshop to design, develop and agree a pragmatic data futures model showing key activities, relationships, interactions, capabilities and current gaps:
- A data capability plan to:
- Prioritise and detail activities to support the move to in year collection
- Build a governance model to support good practice data management in support of in-year collection
- Identify gaps in training and capability and assign priorities to close them
- Create a short report/presentation for next steps.
In addition, we can offer bespoke engagements based on your requirements.
Where can I find out more?
Please get in touch using our contact details below. We can also provide an anonymised sample report on request